Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Coruña - Beautiful Coastline and Plenty of Walking (Post from September or Early October)

A Coruña was another beautiful coastal city, but it was very big (unlike Finisterre).  I believe that I arrived on a Sunday, so most of the tourist sites were closed.  So, in order to prepare for the next day, I walked to all of the tourist sites and prioritized them.

A Coruña is unique because it has a huge maritime walkway which circles most of the city.  One could rent a bike or simply stroll along the coast for miles - absolutely beautiful.  Anyways, the picture below was taken just outside of my hostel.  It was the first thing I saw when I arrived at the maritime walkway.





My walk continued and I soon saw the many boats of the bay.  I soon realized how much I actually like boats.  They ranged from Coast Guard boats to Sailboats, but they all were unique and interesting to me.







I think that the sailboat above with the sun is enough to convince anyone to want to learn how to sail!

I forgot to mention that the maritime path leads to all of the main tourist sites.  The first site I came upon was the Torre de Herucles (Hercule's Tower).




The above picture is the tower with a statue of Hercules...



Backside of the Tower with the beautiful blue sky that was out that day...




View from the Tower



And... For Mom and Dad, a picture of me near the tower's wall...

There really isn't much to say about the city in general.  For me it was the nature and the ocean that captivated my attention.  I don't think that words can describe what I saw, so instead of trying to talk about the many miles I walked around the coast, I will just show you through photos.  The following (probably several) photos are what I think captures the beauty of A Coruña.











Torre de Herucles...




Part of the City




Kind of looks like Big Sur or Carmel...



 
Even though the wind is blowing up my shirt - making me look fat - I put this one in for the parents :)

One of the last things that I did in A Coruña was go to the aquarium. It was very cool, although not as good as Monterey's. They had a whole exhibit was themed like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which was pretty fun. Anyways, the only pictures that I have from the aquarium are from my little friend below:












4 comments:

  1. YA sure... of course it was the wind!! I told you it's hard not to eat all the time over there! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you really gaining weight? LOL I love your little friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. You are so lucky. Maybe I will make it to Europe one day? Thanks for sharing your trip thus far. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, no I'm not gaining weight! Don't worry lol (even though I bet Bri hopes I do) ;)

    ReplyDelete